Through leadership and the use of the Main Street Four Point Approach, the Victoria Main Street Program will ensure that downtown contributes to the community’s overall quality of life by providing opportunities for economic growth as well as for entertainment and personal enjoyment.
Just as they did on The Street of Ten Friends more than 150 years ago, residents and visitors continue to gather in Downtown Victoria. Today downtown Victoria is an energetic Crossroads of multi-cultural activity featuring residential living with historic and emerging businesses, rooted in a vibrant and small town feel.
Benefits of the Main Street Program
- Promotes a unified quality image of the business district.
- Creates an attractive quality image of downtown by capitalizing on its unique assets and heritage.
- Economic Restructuring and repurposing of old buildings to stimulate investment in property.
- Comprehensive training for Main Street managers and board members.
- Provides architectural design assistance.
- Consultations with downtown merchants about visual merchandising and window displays.
- Develops heritage tourism programs.
- EVERY community that has participated in the Main Street program in Texas has experienced growth and development in their downtown!
Why Support Your Local Main Street Program?
- Main Street Programs are all about local reinvestment.
According to the National Trust Main Street Center’s 2010 reinvestment Statistics, local Main Street programs have generated nearly $50 billion of private and public reinvestment since 1980. During that same time period, these same Main Street efforts resulted a net gain of over 94,000 full-time jobs nationally. Victoria Main Street Program has generated over $11 million of private and public reinvestment since 2011, with 18 business starts, expansions and locations.
- Main Street programs work, and work effectively.
The National Trust Main Street Center’s 2010 Reinvestment Statistics report for each $1 spent to operate a local Main Street Program, $27 is reinvested in the local community. This 27:1 reinvestment ratio really is successful economic development.
- Main Street program successes generates revenues for local governments.
By focusing on business expansion, entrepreneurial growth, and improving the district’s property values through reinvestment, Main Street work helps generate additional real estate taxes, sales taxes, and regulatory fee income valuable to local government revenues.
- Main Street programs work to improve the local image.
Supporting business growth in the Main Street district changes local and regional perceptions about the district and the community, not to mention what outsiders will observe. Business growth and physical improvements translate into a better image for the local community that, in turn, enhances broader economic development opportunities.
- Main Street programs build local capacity over time.
Funding from local governments usually helps to get the Main Street started. Annual contributions to the local Main Street program continue and enhance collaborative work to improve and strengthen the Main Street district and the local economy.
Our Board of Directors
President- Bobby Leon
Vice President- Christine Blain
Treasurer- William Sager
Secretary- Sarah Hamman
Heather Keller, Interim Executive Director