The goals of the Purchasing Department include:
- Obtain the best possible price for goods and services.
- Purchase of quality goods and services.
We are also committed to ensuring that:
- Public funds are safeguarded by obtaining best value pricing on purchases.
- Responsible bidders are given a fair opportunity to compete for the City’s business. This is done by following statutory requirements for competitive bids and proposals.
- Assist in the selection of responsible vendors.
- Assist individual departments in obtaining best value pricing; to develop quality specifications for competitive procurement.
- Continuously monitor requisitions by all departments to consolidate purchases where possible.
- Explore the use of cooperative purchasing programs through the State of Texas and other local government agencies.
Expenditures over $50,000
All contracts or purchase orders for the procurement of goods and services, or for the construction of a public improvement, which require an expenditure of more than $50,000 are subject to the competitive procurement requirements set out in Chapters 252 and 271 of the Texas Local Government Code (LGC) or an alternative delivery method as permitted by Chapter 2269 of the Texas Government Code.
The Purchasing staff has a combined total of 30 years of purchasing experience.